Monday, August 10, 2009

Creative Sunday School


I really like teaching Sunday school. I think they assigned me with the age group I am best suited to! I get to act like a kid too! I am teaching on Jonah for the next couple of weeks. The lesson plans suggested making a tunnel made with plastic garbage bags and decorated with fish. I thought....1)That's boring....2)That's a waste of garbage bags....3)Don't we usually avoid letting children play with plastic bags for safety reasons???.....Hello!!!! So that got me to thinking.....I decided to make my own giant fish to attach to a white sheet to make a safer version of a tunnel. I got to church a little early. Austin and Wes helped me set up the tunnel in the classroom. They of course gave it a few trial run throughs to make sure it met the kid fun factor. Then later when it was time for children's church the kids immediately saw the tent and made a run for the fish tunnel. The tunnel was almost a distraction. Couldn't keep them out of it. But, it was all good and we enjoyed it. We got to act out he Bible story and pretend they were Jonah getting swallowed by the fish. We even listened to a CD of stormy weather sounds while we talked about the story. I'm hoping all the stuff we did will really stick in their heads. We talked about how there isn't anywhere we can go, that God isn't around. He is always there. We also talked about asking God to forgive us when we do things wrong. Just like Jonah told God he was sorry from the belly of the fish, it doesn't matter where we are, God is always ready to listen when we talk to him!! :) He's just like our shadow, he is always with us!!

No comments: